Sunday 30 October 2011

Endura Superlite Waterproof Shorts review

Another lesson learnt on tour this summer was the need for a pair of waterproof shorts. I'd tried full length trousers in the form of DHB Wickhams and whilst great for what they are, I just didn't get on with them. I wear baggies when I ride so I was looking for lightweight waterproof shorts that could be carried in a jersey pocket and put on as over-shorts as required.

As with a lot of my purchases the Endura Superlites were bought online. I don't often find this a problem but with the Superlites the sizing and cut are quite neat so beware of buying blind. I have Endura Hummvee and Zyme baggies (both in the same medium size as these) and all three fit differently. The Zymes are loose on my 32 inch waist, the Hummvees are tight and the Superlites somewhere in between. They aren't large enough to wear over the baggies which at first was a disappointment. However, once I realised they were comfortable enough to wear all day, in good weather as well as bad, we got on just fine.

You certainly couldn't accuse Endura of just throwing these together, there's an awful lot of design working to keep you dry. Looking at the shorts inside out gives a good picture of how different materials have been put together to work best. Endura list these as being made from a 2.5 layer waterproof fabric (waterproof to 20,000mm and MVTR of 7,000mm) but that's only part of the story as there are two other waterproof fabrics in the mix, all used in different areas to maximum effect. The light 2.5 layer stuff sits on top of the thighs where less abrasion resistance is needed. What appears to be a tough 3 layer fabric with good stretch properties is used in the seamless gusset and the seat. An even stretchier (and beautifully soft) fabric is used cleverly in a panel at the back of the waist to improve the fit, and in little channels down the outsides of the legs meaning the shorts flex with you as you pedal. Like I said, a great deal of thought gone into these.

Another cunning feature is the cleverly cut hems which are longer at the front to cover the knees (even when seated and pedaling) but avoids bunching of excess material to the rear. This offers a great deal of protection and I've yet to encounter conditions where clamping down the openings with the neat Velcro adjusters was necessary.

Moving up there are useful reflective flashes and - slightly less useful - pockets on the outside of each leg. If they must have a pocket I'd prefer just one small one on the rear. My issue with them being on the legs is: What are you going to carry in them? A multi-tool, an innertube or keys perhaps? Such items don't need a waterproof sanctuary. A mobile phone does, but then there's the thing - would you trust these pockets to actually be waterproof? The trouble is that because the shorts fit so neatly the pocket bags are flat. This means that if you put something chunky in them, you'll distort the fit of the shorts and potentially strain the pocket zip. Therefore - despite the use of 'waterproof zips' - there's still a good chance of leakage. Pedaling constantly works the zips too so why even bother trying to make them watertight? One small pocket on the rear would most likely be protected by the hem of a jacket and negate such issues.

The waist is a nice simple elasticated/drawstring affair which again means less material to bunch up. It would be useful if the elastic had a bit more give to it though, to make getting the shorts on and off easier. Endura's Clickfast system is also present.

Despite these not being what I was looking for when I bought them (my fault) they've become a well loved item. Apart from my gripe with the pockets (which I cunningly get round by not putting anything in them) I do like them. They've kept me dry and comfortable in a broad range of conditions which is really all that should matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment